Friday, February 15, 2008

A Surprise Tragedy on Campus

It's the morning after the tragic shooting at NIU that shocked all of us yesterday afternoon. Thankfully, both Cassie and I were at home when my dad called to tell us about the shooting. We had the news on for most of the afternoon and evening to ultimately find out that there were seven people killed, including the gunman.
It's still hard to believe, of all the universities that you could hear about this happening, and it actually happens here. The Kishwaukee hospital, where many of the victims are taken, is only several minutes from our apartment.
All I can really say is that my heart goes out to the victims and I'm sure that many people who were on campus or attend NIU were keeping their loved ones a little bit closer on Valentine's Day, thankful to be safe from such a senseless and unexplainable situation.
I'm not exactly sure how things will change on campus following all of this, but it certainly seems that everyone will be on edge for a while, knowing that something so innocent as a campus Geology class isn't enough to keep you safe from someone who has lost their mind.
I hope that the families and friends of these victims can somehow learn to eventually cope and somehow heal from all of this.

No comments: